Initial TEFL/TESOL training courses are normally of at least 100 hours and are at a level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework. These are at Certificate level and are often named Certificate in TEFL or similar.
Most teachers will begin their career with this type of qualification. An accredited Certificate in TEFL/TESOL will normally be sufficient to qualify you to teach in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.
It should cover the basics which includes the following:
- How to teach the 4 skills
- English grammar and how to teach it
- How to teach pronunciation
- Classroom management
- Lesson Planning
- Teaching vocabulary
- Using course books effectively
- Teaching young learners and teenagers
- Teaching Pronunciation
- Materials and aids